Skip to main content

Lost Children Archive: Where to begin?

This book has been my favorite so far. It has been really challenging to read and intriguing, I am spending more time on it than I expected. Each little “chapter”/section gives a lot to think about. I found the section “Routes and Roots” to present themes that we see throughout the book. A lot of them are presented by this woman narrator, of whom I haven’t found the name of, and we basically read an exposition of her thoughts and interpretations. So far I haven’t read any book like this. With His Pistol In His Hand holds some resemblance to this book, in the way it is structures, however it is a dissertation whereas this book seems to be part nonfiction and fiction. The part that I assume is fiction is the backstory of this family, however all of the works that are mentioned in the inventory of the boxes, the places they travel to, the “lost children” are true. Is the backstory of this family, their trip, true as well? The polaroid photos correspond to scenes in the book “The picture comes out in shades of brown: sepia, ecru, wheat, and sand. (…) they look as though they are not really there, like they are being remembered instead of photographed.” (p.68)

There is this focus on capturing, recording, memory, collecting, languages and tongues, pronouns, maps, directions, the Apaches, archives, etc., and I think most importantly children. It seems as if this book exists to archive a series of experiences, concepts, the lost children, and how this family of four puts the very nature of the world into question. The very idea of family is in question, of what destiny is, of where the road takes them in life. I have reread a few sections and I always find different underlying meanings, or questions. I think so far, this book seems to present more of what seems like a series of questions and tentative answers. The children seem to possess most of the answers. The protagonist/narrator really analyzes what her daughter and stepson tell her, how they are the ones that reprimand her and make her see the world clearly.

I am still trying to understand the relationships in this family. At certain points we see how the woman and the daughter are one whole and then the separate whole being the “husband” and “the boy”. Other times she feels a maternal bond to the boy, even though he is not her biological son. The wife and the husband see themselves as “passing strangers” that live their lives in parallel. Another aspect of this unconnected existence is in the section on pronouns at the beginning of the book “(…)pronouns shifted constantly in our confused syntax while we negotiated the terms of the relocation. We started speaking more hesitant about everything (…)” (p.26). So far I only have pieces of what this book might mean to me and how it is found in the world. I don’t know if they are right, I don’t know nor do I understand this, this is completely uncharted territory for me and I find myself following the thoughts of the narrator, as they are written on paper, as if I were experiencing and thinking things over with her.

I do see purpose and meaning in this book, and the work the narrator does, I think that is something the narrator holds dear to her heart and what gives her doubt about her marriage. She wants to archive, record, the struggles of living beings whereas she describes her husband as one who follows ghosts. That is an interesting perspective, maybe it will change by the end, or maybe not. There is more to debate there.

Comments

  1. Hey Maria,

    Loved your post. I agree with you - it is unlike any book I have ever read as well. I think you hinted at this, but I love how raw she wrote the book; it seems to be truly and soley her thoughts and how she perceives adn analyzes the world around her. However, we do see this change throughout the text. But it truly does feel like you are enveloped in the book and seeing and hearing the environment with the characters in each theme. And I think I find that to be a main difference between this book and With His Pistol in His Hand; where in this book I feel involved in the writing and the experience, the latter truly felt like a dissertation (to me at least).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maria!

    I am on the same boat as you - I am still trying to understand the relationships that exist within this family. What makes it even more interesting is the fact that both children are not the biological children of the parents, and I wonder if this will come up more in the second half or not. Of course, the relationship between the parents is also fascinating; the woman seems to be so invested in their relationship, but we don’t really know much about how the husband feels. To me, this is what makes novels from just one person’s perspective so interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mrs. Darrell

One of the events that transpired in this second half of the book that impressed me was Mrs. Darrell’s speech on her views of the land laws. The whole event was revealing of her true nature, a nature that we have known as readers since the beginning of the novel. She was honest, showing integrity and firmness of spirit, and assumed responsibility in deceiving her husband and those involved. As it pertains to the author’s views on women, this character has voice and imposes her voice over that of men. However, the author makes it known that she has no seat among the men in the “colony” , for none offer her one, she simply steps in and speaks. That is a rupture in the behaviours set by women in the novel. Mrs. Darrell expresses a forward opinion of the Law, on matters of the land, on business, conscience and ethics. In contrast Dona Josefa, Mercedes, Elvira, Mrs. Mechlin (George’s Aunt) all seem to fit this “mold” of womanhood where matrons impose tradition and custom

Bless Me, Ultima: part I

As I started reading this novel, I was struck by the different mixture of belief systems. Not only in different moral systems but also in terms of choice of lifestyle. In a way, how Antonio follows his “destiny”, which we learn right from the beginning, that Ultima is the only one that truly knows where his future holds “ Only I will know his destiny”. Since his birth Antonio has been torn by the different expectations of his surrounding parental/mentor figures – his destiny traced for him: becoming a priest, becoming a vaquero destined to wander the llano, etc. This for me seems to be an overarching theme of the books we have read so far. To some capacity, we are torn between the concept of a self-made destiny and a predetermined destiny. Down these mean streets presents that conflict which we discussed in class. I am interested in how this can be applied to the general idea of Chicano culture in America. Antonio seems to be torn between different beliefs, moral systems, expectat

The Squatter and the Don: Citizenry and Citizenship

I really enjoyed reading this first half of the novel. Several themes and concepts resonated with me and I am still processing them as I read the novel. In this post I want to talk about the characters of Clarence and Don Mariano, and how they embody a notion of “loyal citizenship”. I believe that Ruiz de Burton is a “Ciudadano Loyal” in the critique she makes against the law, underlined in the lives and experiences of the characters. Those that embody this idea of ideal citizenship are Don Mariano and Clarence. As the story unfolds these characters grow close to each other over agreeing on concepts of justice and good morals. Despite what the law was attempting to enforce, they persevere with their conscience that guides them to make good decisions out of care for their neighbour, county, and country. It is interesting for they are both members that belong to “opposing groups” to a fragmented community, one from the so called “Spaniards” and another from the “squatter”