Skip to main content

Hope in "The House on Mango Street": Do you need to be selfish to survive?

I think so far this is the book I have thought of the most, not only is my group working on a Wikipedia article that showcases it, but I think it has just left me thinking about its meaning. The more I read it, the more I look at articles about it or analyze its characters, the more contradictions I find. I haven’t made up my mind on whether I like it or not, I think I’ll never really know.

While I was reading it, I couldn’t help wonder what message this book is communicating, I am trying to pinpoint it amidst the other books we’ve read this semester. To start off the author dedicates this book “To the Women”. We can see that for most of the characters are women, and most of the stories about the struggles of women. However, it is simply narrating issues women face but not conveying any empathy nor hope. We simply get the idea that Esperanza wants to escape this, we see that she is different from the rest of her community, or she feels different. We notice the same in Piri, how he also seems to be facing a different struggle from that of the “group”. These stories are really about the protagonists and not the community. That is what I find unsettling in a certain way. It doesn’t mean that it is good or bad, just that I don’t get peace at the end because the struggles of these communities just persist, and the existence of these protagonist doesn’t generate any change in the lives of those around them. I find that in Esperanza’s and Piri’s stories they both come across as selfish individuals. Esperanza seems to be always dissatisfied with her state in life, only finding her “house” when she is older and by herself. This defies that saying of “home is where family is”. An article I read about this book also said that Esperanza was only able to leave Mango Street on the backs and sacrifice of many women, so in a way she benefits from the ‘system’ as well. When piecing this altogether, I see it as a mechanism adopted by Esperanza to survive, if you don’t empathize and set yourself apart from your community it makes it easier to look outside of it for an escape route. Esperanza lived her emancipation very privately, we don’t see her sharing this with friends of her age. We see her interaction with mentors, older women, but these are speaking out of regret, for they weren’t able to seize the right moment to escape, they either dropped out of school, got married, got pregnant, etc.  

Having this in mind, what does it say about Chicano culture? Why are these issues so prevalent? Specifically when portraying women as victims and men as perpetrators? This isn’t really a kink because these woes, sadly, are seen as a norm. Where can we find voices that speak out for equality and not for a disordered emancipation? I ask this last question because in this book there really isn’t a fixed model of femininity/womanhood, women are portrayed as objects and servants, and Esperanza herself thinks that by emulating the qualities of a man is how she escapes this “I am one that leaves the table like a man, without putting back the chair or picking up a plate”. With this Esperanza associates being a women with being tame, with following orders, with being pretty, and a subordinate, when that isn’t what femininity is about. Here being a wife is seen negatively, being a mother is seen negatively and dismissed as almost nothing. There is no value put in motherhood. In my view, such an important role of a woman, a role only performed by women, is completely disregarded or badly portrayed. Is the book saying that to escape this culture women ought not to marry and be mothers? What does this say for the future of strong Chicana women, those to whom this book is dedicated to? If the cells of culture are families, how is it to be transmitted without a positive perception of motherhood? How is that communicated in these books? Where is the hope, the Esperanza, for Chicano culture? I haven’t seen it myself so far, maybe I missed something.

Comments

  1. Hi Maria!

    I liked how you tried to understand the book, and I know you have a better notion of what is behind this book since you have done a lot of work about it for the Wikipedia project. Yet, presenting my personal opinion, I don't really think that Esperanza is selfish. I think that much of the things she describes about other women in the book can't be portrayed in too much detail or she can't herself help them since at the beginning she is only a child; that maybe could not really handle so complicated situations such as the gender inequality, gender discrimination and oppression.

    Moreover, the character of Esperanza is constructed, since my point of view, as a girl who is curious and observes everything that is presented to her, but sje is not the kind of personality (I would say) that will jump into fix the problems of every women that suffers. It is important to understand that the society and the social circumstances under which Esperanza is growing up, are very difficult. It's not easy to change the way in which this system works. Less if you fight alone.

    I don't see Esperanza as a woman who takes advantage of the situation of the lives of others in order to succeed, neither. Furthermore, she she does not step on others to leave Mango Street.

    I don't know. I think that there are million thing to talk about this book, and maybe the decision of Sandra Cisneros to left some many details left, and to not provide the 'whole' story of the other characters, is with the purpose for the readers to discuss and understand the complexity of those lives by themselves. I think it's impossible she could have provided a 'happy ending' for everyone since maybe the point was to showcase the difficult gender inequalities that Chicano women experience.

    By Pamela Chavez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, this is such an interesting take on the book. I have to say that in some ways I struggle to see it. For instance, I do see empathy for the women that Cisneros portrays as trapped in one way or another. I don't think they are blamed for the situation they are in. But where I agree with you (or what you challenge us to consider) is that the solution to the issues that they face is presented as simply individual. One girl might be able to escape, and then return to tell the story of those who didn't. But there is no vision of systemic change.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bless Me, Ultima: part I

As I started reading this novel, I was struck by the different mixture of belief systems. Not only in different moral systems but also in terms of choice of lifestyle. In a way, how Antonio follows his “destiny”, which we learn right from the beginning, that Ultima is the only one that truly knows where his future holds “ Only I will know his destiny”. Since his birth Antonio has been torn by the different expectations of his surrounding parental/mentor figures – his destiny traced for him: becoming a priest, becoming a vaquero destined to wander the llano, etc. This for me seems to be an overarching theme of the books we have read so far. To some capacity, we are torn between the concept of a self-made destiny and a predetermined destiny. Down these mean streets presents that conflict which we discussed in class. I am interested in how this can be applied to the general idea of Chicano culture in America. Antonio seems to be torn between different beliefs, moral systems, expectat

Mrs. Darrell

One of the events that transpired in this second half of the book that impressed me was Mrs. Darrell’s speech on her views of the land laws. The whole event was revealing of her true nature, a nature that we have known as readers since the beginning of the novel. She was honest, showing integrity and firmness of spirit, and assumed responsibility in deceiving her husband and those involved. As it pertains to the author’s views on women, this character has voice and imposes her voice over that of men. However, the author makes it known that she has no seat among the men in the “colony” , for none offer her one, she simply steps in and speaks. That is a rupture in the behaviours set by women in the novel. Mrs. Darrell expresses a forward opinion of the Law, on matters of the land, on business, conscience and ethics. In contrast Dona Josefa, Mercedes, Elvira, Mrs. Mechlin (George’s Aunt) all seem to fit this “mold” of womanhood where matrons impose tradition and custom

The Squatter and the Don: Citizenry and Citizenship

I really enjoyed reading this first half of the novel. Several themes and concepts resonated with me and I am still processing them as I read the novel. In this post I want to talk about the characters of Clarence and Don Mariano, and how they embody a notion of “loyal citizenship”. I believe that Ruiz de Burton is a “Ciudadano Loyal” in the critique she makes against the law, underlined in the lives and experiences of the characters. Those that embody this idea of ideal citizenship are Don Mariano and Clarence. As the story unfolds these characters grow close to each other over agreeing on concepts of justice and good morals. Despite what the law was attempting to enforce, they persevere with their conscience that guides them to make good decisions out of care for their neighbour, county, and country. It is interesting for they are both members that belong to “opposing groups” to a fragmented community, one from the so called “Spaniards” and another from the “squatter”